Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Music = MANY Problems



For our film, having a song integrated into your opening sequence was mandatory. A couple of problems came with that though. Many songs that could be found on YouTube or that my partner and I were familiar with all were copyrighted. Copyright is the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material, and to authorize others to do the same. This meant that we had to find a song to use that went with our genre. There were two ways that we could’ve gone about this: we could’ve contacted an artist that we knew and ask permission to use their music in our film or get royalty-free music. I preferred the latter. Since I did most of the editing I had to look for the music. The first thing I did was go on YouTube and try to find some royalty-free music that would go with our film. When I first started this we had not filmed yet. This made it harder to find a song that was not only royalty-free but would go with the scenes that were taking place. After searching for some time, I found a song called tense suspense alternative mix on Spotify. I found it on a playlist that solely had copyright free music. To double-check, I went through the description and even emailed the owner of that playlist to make sure that the song was royalty-free. After getting a confirmation I planned on putting it into the film after we edited. When it came time to insert it into the film I ran into some problems. The main problem was that I was unable to get the track from Spotify and into the film. While editing I found that I have very little patience and absolutely no idea how to get the intended track into the film therefore, I decided to find another song. In turn, I went right back to YouTube and look up more royalty-free music. I ended up finding a website named FesliyanStudios.com which, allowed me to download any track that I wanted from the website. The website made it very clear that it was safe and okay to use the music in my film, seeing as it’s not an ad or anything to gain money. I then downloaded the track dark fog onto my computer and then transferred it into my phone, where I was editing the film.  I decided to play the track throughout the whole film; for scenes where I wanted it to be more prominent, I lowered the ambient sounds of that scene. If I didn’t want it to be heard at all I would just cut the sound out for that specific section of the film. While the journey to getting the track was tedious, it was very easy to incorporate it into my film. 



No comments:

Post a Comment